Monday, May 2, 2016

Travel to Barcelona

May 1-  I'm really sad to be leaving San Sebastián. The food was great. The city is beautiful. Our Airbnb host were beyond expectations. It's like we were staying at a friends house. They pointed us to local spots. Had dinner with us one night. They even cooked dinner for us and gave us a bottle of wine. How can you beat that?  I feel like bringing wine and desserts to dinner wasn't enough. 

Our trip here is a bit backwards as we are doing a walking tour of the city today but it's low season so that's all we get. Its scheduled for 11. We pack up and head out. I don't quite have enough time to stop for coffee and a pastry but my eating has been shifted so I will survive. It's a tour of the old town. We actually walked most of this already. We get the history behind what we see like how the flower rows and the sidewalk design show the old city wall location.
There is a statue with lyrics. Our guide explains the story and even sings for us. Some elder locals even join us as they walk by. 
The poor people's church. 
Chocolate shoes - go figure. 
One good piece of knowledge we picked up is that it's Saint Telmo (Saint of seamen) here. I was thinking Elmo. The other day we were told to go Saint Telmo for pintxo and I couldn't find it on the map.
St Telmo pulling a boat from the storm. Now with the correct spelling we are good to go.
This place is packed. 
They are out of the ravioli that they are known for. However they still have beef cheeks which are very good.
It's interesting as they are served with a chickpea sauce. 
The food is good here so we go for round two. 
The foie gras is a little more livery here. 
It's time to head back and get our luggage. I stop in the vending area to see what they have to drink.
I guess it's better than cigarettes. Still no Vitamin Water. 
We are heading on a 6 hour train ride to Barcelona. It wasn't originally on our itinerary but that's the beauty of this trip. We have no where to be except Athens at the end of May. We are going down to the docks first thing in the morning and see if we can find a cheap cruise to Italy. Otherwise we'll continue by rail. 
Our home for the next six hours. 
Cesar salad from the bar car. 
A can a Pringles that I have been carrying with me from the beginning of the trip. Talk about food miles. 

It's an uneventful train ride and we arrive after 10. We take a short cab ride to the hotel. 
It's an AC Hotel by Marriott and only 75 euros. It's also not centrally located. 
Being Sunday, May Day and Mothers Day nothing is open around the hotel. Good thing the hotel has 24 hour room service. 
"Pizza"

No comments:

Post a Comment