Thursday, May 12, 2016

Relaxing in Croatia

So much for sleeping in this morning. I should have gotten up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom but I didn't want to go downstairs. Now I've tossed and turned for however long. I finally go and now I can't get back to sleep. I guess I will blog. Ugh our internet isn't working this morning. 
Well I can at least download pictures from the camera. I'm not taking as many pictures as I thought. I've used a 16, three 32s and I'm on my fourth 32. I still have a 16, 32, 64 left. Though I need to back two cards for cruise pictures. I get through my two full cards and on to my current one. I have all the pictures marked and start downloading. The 20% indicator on my phone pops up and disables my download. WTF?  So I start marking again and now the 10% indicator pops up and clears my selections. What a crappy app. I plug in my phone and now I can connect to the camera. Now the camera battery is almost dead. 
I guess I'll shower now. This place doesn't have any toiletries. We have bars of soap from other hotels. I guess I should have taken the shampoo yesterday. Fortunately we have sheets of soap, shampoo and laundry detergent we bought. I was beginning to think they were a waste but at least they don't take up a lot of space. 
I use two sheets. I probably only needed one. It's not like there is a lot there even though it's long now. 
On to breakfast. I cut up the bacon. It's really smokey. It's tough to cut with dull knife. I run the knife on the bottom of a cup. That seems to help a little bit the skin side is really tough to cut. We decide to cook it in the oven. No toaster so I toast the bread in the pan and fry our eggs. 
The bacon is super salty and Aparna won't eat it. I eat a few pieces. 
I message our host and they will come by and check the Internet. After breakfast I boil the bacon for a bit and that seems to help. We'll see how it is tomorrow. 
I check my shorts that were washed last night and you can barely see the stain on the front. I think it's a bit funny as I brought these golf shorts because they are supposed to be stain resistant. At least it doesn't smell. I don't think you would see it unless you know it's there. Aparna wants to throw them out but it's all I have besides my convertibles. I think she is still grossed out by the incident. 
The host stops by. They contacted the ISP and life if good now. I'm happy to sit on the couch and type away. I blog and Aparna does trip research. 
It's about 2:30 now and I decide to get my haircut. Crap the place I saw yesterday is closed. I walk around for a bit. I find the train station in case we decide to train out of here. I go back to the barbershop. He doesn't speak much English but I ask how much and he slowly draws 50 on the counter with his finger. Cool that's less than $10. I grab the shortest clipper guide and he says 1 mm. I point to the sides and back of my head. In Google translate I tell him to not touch the top and he nods. 15 minutes later, I'm a new man. 

We start to research our last few weeks in Europe. We are starting to realize travel in Croatia isn't so easy. I figured we'd be taking buses but I didn't think about the times. 6 hours to Split from here. That's about the max I can do on a bus. Yesterday's bus was hot and I was bit concerned I could get car sick. Also the weather this week here is rainy. I guess that's the good thing about not having concrete plans. After some searching, I find I can rent a car for two days for 25 euros but we have to pick it up at the airport. Renting a car from the bus station is going to be at least $86. We book the car from Enterprise at the airport and find a hotel in Split. 
It's after 7 so we head out to find dinner.
There are lots of sites nearby but we won't be doing any site seeing here. Maybe we should have taken more time here. Anyway, I needed the day off and maybe another. 
We end up down by the water and probably in a more touristy restaurant than last night. The prices say so. 
I actually order the salad. 
Mushrooms risotto for me. 
Truffle steak for Aparna. 
We still had red wine left so I order the only chocolate dessert they have. Chocolate Bailey's cake. It's more Bailey's but not in a bad way. 
After dinner we decide to take the long way back since we haven't seen much. 
It starts to rain so we head straight back. We start to watch a Croatia travel show I downloaded but I'm out before its done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment