Saturday, May 14, 2016

Country Number 9 and GoT

May 14 - I don't know why I sleep under these comforters. I just end up hot and toss and turn all night. We told the owner we be up for breakfast around 9. She said she would put the stuff out earlier and it would be fine. I leave the room a little after 9 while Aparna is showering. It's a pretty basic spread but nice. I make some instant coffee which isn't terrible. 
We head out along the coast. It's better weather for our drive.
It's a nice coast but we don't stop along the way. 
This was interesting as I thought we were coming to a bay but it opened to a flat land filled with farms and orchards. I wonder if they filled it in. 
Just before the Bosnian border. 
The Bosnian border was easy but a little slow. The car in front of us had a trailer and took a long time. We pull over to take some pictures so I can claim I've been in the country.
Our rental car. 
We decide not to hit a mall to look for shorts and sandals for me. We get back on the road and 10km later we are at the border. I have our passports ready as I pull up and the just says "ok" and waves us through.
I think these are oyster farms. 
The coast continues to impress. 
We are here however the airport is south of town so we need to continue on. 
I pull into the gas station. There are four kinds of diesel. Take a picture of the tank door.
Fortunately the guy at the next pump speaks English. I show him the picture and he says any of the grade are fine. 
The airport is just a short distance away. I ask the Enterprise guy where the shuttles to town are and how much they cost. It's 40 each for shuttle not bad. He says a taxi is 300 but he will take us for 150. Sounds like a good deal so we accept. 
Apparently someone told me but it went in one ear and out the other. We don't watch Game of Thrones, so I had no idea it's filmed in Drubrovnik.
This picture is from another day but just to give you an idea of the city and its wall if you aren't familiar with it. There is a gate in between the first and second rampart from left. We are staying near there. 
Since we are in a car, we can be dropped off at a closer gate than the bus.
Our first view up close of the wall. 
Apparently Napoleon added this gate. We meet our contact and tell him about our "taxi". He says that's a good deal since a taxi is at least 250. Because we come to this gate, it's all downhill to our place. Sweet. I heard all the complaints about how it's 200 steps up to this place. I'm interested in bar food because I want to drink beer. I've had enough wine for awhile. He tells us about a Bosnian place that has grilled sausages to have while drinking beer.
Along our stroll to Taj Mahal for Bosnian food. It called this because the owner built it for his wife as her palace. I look at the menu and all these hot appetizers.
1 kg?
We end up splitting a dinner.
Turkey and spinach roll. The baked potato is really good. Maybe it's because I haven't had one in a long time. 
After dinner I ask who eats 1 kg?  4 people?  He says you can order the amount you want. 300-400 grams is common. Crap that makes a lot more sense. Maybe we'll come back. 
We go around the corner to a pizza place that has beers 40% off during happy hour so we grab a beer there. I normally do a lot good thinking in the shower but after my second beer it dawns on me that I like to shave in the shower but I only got to do this San Sebastián. However I have a mirror in my toiletry kit that I can take out. Funny how the mind works. 
After our beer we walk over to the west gate to see the sunset. 
Just inside the gate. 
As we exit the gate, we realize you can see the sunset from here. We debate our options and realize a sunset is not happening tonight. As we walk back to the gate, a wedding party stops and breaks out in celebration.
We head back to our place to drop off the backpack and it's along the way to a place just outside the gate that our driver said is reasonable priced. 
I see why people complain especially if you have big luggage but you need to know where you are going. Watching people here and in Venice with huge suitcase makes me laugh. We've been gone for two months with carryons.
It's maybe 300 yards with the twists and turns from our place. I read online the pizzas are 11 inches so we order two. Also people complain about getting only two olives on their pizzas. Looking at the menu, every pizza comes with olives. A little strange. 
Finally pepperoni. 
They are more like 12+. I eat half of mine and Aparna eats less than half of hers. We have a fridge so breakfast is taken care of.  

No comments:

Post a Comment