We also book our Airbnb for Istanbul. We only have 4 nights to account for now. We are still uncertain where it will be. I want to visit Delphi and Aparna wants some beach time. Hopefully we can work something out soon.
We finally head out and try to the lay of the land. There are two bars on the outside of the wall I want to find. I figure we can follow long the inside of the wall and find them. We head along the east wall and find the East gate. Then we move on to the harbor.
This is all the way around past the harbor. It's windy so we don't stay long but you can swim here.
We move along the wall past the aquarium and the maritime museum. We end up on a couple of dead ends. I see a church I want to visit. Afterwards we end up at the market and back towards the inside. We wander the shops as I'm looking for sandals. Nothing of interest. We head up some stairs towards the sea. It opens to courtyard with a couple of restaurants and a church. I think the courtyard is a dead end so we head back down the stair on our quest for the back wall. We see what appears to be a church up some stairs.
We head up the stairs but it's nothing. We head back down towards the west gate. Aparna is a little hungry by now so we decide to hit up the Irish bar we saw the other day. It's packed with Brits (or that's what I think). We get a couple of beers and fish and chips. It hits the spot. I Google to see how to find the cafe. I find a blog with it. It turns out we were close this morning but went to the church instead. If we would have continued to follow the wall we would have found it.
We finally find the hole in the wall.
It's worth the walk. We meet a nice couple from Florida from a cruise ship. They are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. We decide to find the other Cafe Buza. It's just on the other side of the rampart from this one. I put it into Apple Maps and it gets us there. I guess it's not as bad as I thought. The view here is better but the other one has a nicer feel.
Some sort of feeding frenzy.
Here we meet a retired couple from Las Vegas who were from Michigan. Damn another Spartan. They took a cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Portugal. I can't imagine being on open water for that long. They spent some time in Barcelona then flew directly to Dubrovnik. They are spending a few days here before meeting friends on an organized trip through former Yugoslavia then they are biking around Lake Constance. They are impressed with our extended travels and encourage us to keep doing it. After our drinks we help them back to Buza gate since it's near our place. As we walk back we end up in the courtyard that I thought was a dead end. Ugh we were so close.
We drop off the backpack and research a bit. The clouds are back so no sunset tonight. We head out for dinner. We pick a close place that is supposed to be reasonable for being in the city wall. We can't find it of course. We walk up and down the restaurant row just above the Main Street but nothing jumps out at me. I finally get the website of the restaurant I originally wanted and find the address. It's in a side street between here and the main street. Octopus carpaccio.
Seafood risotto.
It was a good dinner but I'm falling asleep by the end of it. I'm glad we picked somewhere close.





















No comments:
Post a Comment