We pack up and check out. It's strange how a lot of places have city tax that you pay in cash at the end. We pay our taxes and head out. At the train station, we try to sell our 7 days passes since they have 3 days left. I decide to give up and just give them to a lucky tourist. I walk up and ask a couple if they are going to buy ferry tickets and show them my tickets. They say they will buy their own. I tell them it's their lucky day and I give them the passes.
The train here is just a normal train to Trieste. We board a car that is labeled 1st class on the outside but it's really a second class car. I wander the train and find another first class car.
This looks like second class but with a table. I show Aparna the picture and she decides not to move. As the car fills up it gets loud. We wonder if 1st class would have been quieter. Oh well, it's only two hours.
We reach Trieste and fortunately the bus station is next door. However we try to go in from the wrong side of the building and end up in some market. We figure out the entrance is on the front. We get two tickets to Rijeka for less than 20 Euros. Now to find something to eat. It's raining so we don't want to go far. The train station has a bar but the food looks like pre wrapped food. The phone says there's a pizza place across the square. Crap, it's closed since it's between lunch and dinner. Donnar kebab it is.
It's good but I really want lamb or beef. Maybe when we are in Greece I will get a good one.
The bus is fairly comfortable but not quite as nice as the tourist bus. I was hoping to fall asleep but it's too hot. Aparna falls asleep. We get stopped for about 20 minutes on a two lane road. I think there was an accident. Since Aparna is sleeping, I watch some MacGuivers I downloaded. I don't think I ever saw the pilot before. We arrive and our Airbnb is close. I'm a bit confused as we were told #2 was rented but #1 was available. We stop at 2 on the street but it's not right. A nice couple who don't speak much English try to help us but we are in the wrong place. I text our contact and she comes to get us. We are just on the wrong end of the block. However it's all up hill and some stairs.
It's a studio with a twin and double upstairs.
We need cash and supplies. The first ATM doesn't work for us but there is one next to the grocery store. That one works. I see what looks like bacon. The lady behind the counter doesn't really speak English. Google translate to the rescue. However she won't sell it in slices. I get about an inch worth. We end up buying 6 eggs, 1 liter of pineapple juice, .25 kg of bacon, 2 beers, laundry detergent, a small piece of butter, bread and some peanut snacks for $12.
Now we are starving. We head out towards the old town which is about 500 meters away. We wander up and down the main drag and end up at an Italian place.
Cabanara for me.
Pasta with truffles for Aparna. We were told we could get truffles everywhere and affordably in Croatia. This dinner and a liter of wine was $35.
Over dinner we discussed the places that are now on the top of the list. Maldives and Maccu Pichu are now the top two to do in the next 5 years. It's finally hitting me how crazy this must seem to Americans including myself. This is a trip of a lifetime but it shouldn't be. I hope to be doing something like this multiple times in my life. It's also put into perspective material things and DirecTV. I've lived with 2 khakis, a pair of jeans, 1 convertible pants, one pair of shorts, 3 T-shirts, 2 polo, my Michigan "Hawaiian" shirt, 3 long sleeve shirts and the 2 dress shirts I bought in Thailand for the last seven weeks and the world hasn't ended. Aparna has given me crap for my attire on certain days but it's all I have.








No comments:
Post a Comment