Friday, May 13, 2016

Travel to Split

May 13 - I'm up around 8. I lounge around and enjoy the sofa. I pack up the camera bag. Aparna is up now so I start breakfast. 
Same as yesterday but the bacon is definitely less salty now that it was boiled. 
We have a ton of clothes to pack but virtually everything is clean now. We head down to the bus station as we were told that's the cheapest way to the airport. We ask a taxi driver how much he says 250. That's almost $40. I say we will take the bus. He lowers the price to 200. We agree since that's only a little more than two bus tickets plus luggage charge. 
It's actually quite far to the airport so I guess it's worth it. There is a toll to go to the airport. We arrive at the airport and he charges us 235. 35 is for the toll. Maybe taking a car from the city center wasn't so expensive. 
The airport is dead. The taxi driver says it's basically shutdown between December and April. It doesn't look like there are any flights coming or going any time soon. Most the rental counters are closed. We get to Enterprise and it takes along time to process. The Hertz counter opens and a customer shows up. I think these counters only up for reservations. We also find out there is a $50 one way charge. Ugh. It's still cheaper and much faster than the bus. 
We get out and now it's dumping. We get adjusted and we are off. This clutch isn't as smooth as the last car but I wonder if it's because this is diesel. We get to the toll and we don't have to pay to leave. 
Oh the beautiful coast. 
The weather clears up a little. 
We end up on a toll road about halfway through. We missed something and didn't stay on the coast route. Oh well, it's faster and there isn't much to see with this weather. The toll is less than $10 so the cost of this rental keeps climbing. We get into town and find the B&B. Our host is waiting at the curb side and saved us a parking spot. 
It's not much from the outside. It's a three room place with a common area. 
People complain online about the size of the bathroom but it's bigger than the one in Paris.
We head to the city center and the Palace of Diocletian which is just a few hundred meters away. The city has integrated into the palace. 
Main gate
Just inside the main gate. 
These don't show it but there are shops, restaurants and residents in the palace. 
Here is the Main Street. 
The harbor just outside the palace. 
The buildings to the left is the start of the old town. The bricks are much rougher. We go to a rustic restaurant. It's supposed to be like home cooking. 
Fish soup which is basically fish broth and rice. 
Aparna goes for the braised chicken. 
I get lamb with peas. Not that the chicken is bad but this is better. 
Now that we are stuffed we head back to the room and find a room in Dubrovnik. Before we can figure out Dubrovnik we need to decide how to move on. I want 3 or 4 nights in Dubrovnik. In order to determine that we need to figure out how we are leaving Croatia. There are no direct flights to Athens. Aparna doesn't want to night train plus it's like 20 something hours by the time you get to Athens. The best flight route is via Istanbul. It's funny Aparna didn't want to come to Istanbul before we left because of the bombing plus you need a visa. The visa you just pay when you land so that's not a big deal. Now she pushing for it knowing I want to go. I guess we'll make a stopover. That will be country number 10. We find a reasonable priced flight so that means 3 nights in Dubrovnik.
We go back and forth about a room inside the walls or not. I finally decide to stay in the walls but closer to a gate. The review says its 200 steps and not to bring a heavy bag. Our rollerboard is over 30 pounds at this point. Maybe we'll leave it at left luggage.  This only leaves 4 nights unplanned in Greece. I'm also trying to figure out what to do in Istanbul as it wasn't on the radar before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment