Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Murano and Burano

Mornings have been pretty much the same here. Take an hour or so to get ready after we wake up. We don't have a lot of sense of urgency. 
Breakfast is more of the same. I don't know why I took the hot dog. 
We are doing the Murano glass factory tour at 10. It's provided free by the hotel including a private water taxi. Our handler shows up a little late. I guess the tides are messing with the taxis. We are joined by another couple from Australia. 
We arrive at
It's the preferred vendor for Celebrity Cruises. I guess that's a good thing. 
We have seen glass blown before so it's nothing really new but the speed of this guy is amazing. He's not the master but he creates a horse in about two minutes and they sell them for 15 Euros. Not too bad if they sell them. 
Afterwards we head to Burano. Its population is about 4000. Historically it's a lace and fishing town.
We decide to have lunch at a seafood place off the main drag. It's busy and we need to wait almost an hour. I overhear someone say it's the best kitchen on the island. 
Mussels and clams. The clams are really good. 
This seafood risotto is amazing. There isn't pieces of seafood in it but the seafood broth they used is wonderful. 
These are better than the ones in Marseille but not as good as the ones in San Sebastián. I think I like the smaller ones. 
While having lunch I realize I miss a couch. I just want a day to sit and veg out on couch. As you can tell we really haven't had a down day. I've decided that our next stop is going to include a day of nothing. We'll find a place where we can do laundry and get my haircut. Hopefully I will get fully caught up on the blog and maybe even watch a little TV. 
There is an island one ferry stop over that has a bell tower I want to climb. It's supposed to give good views of the lagoon. We hop aboard the ferry but it's going in the wrong direction. We decide that's fine and head back to San Marco. We walk back to the hotel and only managed one wrong way/dead end. 
We relax for a bit and make our plans for Croatia. We find a studio apartment with a washing machine so we are not doing laundry tonight. We head out for a different part of town but Aparna isn't feeling well. We grab a slice nearby and stay in for the rest of the night. 

We try to stream something from our house but the Internet is being flakey here so we watch a Croatia travel show I downloaded on Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment