Thursday, May 26, 2016

Delphi

Apparently the laundry finally finished at 2:30 am. 3 hours! I don't know why she just didn't go to sleep and wake up later to check but that's on her. We take a short walk to the hotel where we are picked up. I go in and out of sleep on the ride out. I'm trying to listen to the guide. We have a pit stop about 1.5 hours in. We grab a small bite since we haven't had breakfast and lunch will be late.
Delphi is cool.
The landscape is incredible.
This is Tholos just before the Delphi site. It may have been a temple to Athena. 
The market leading up to the temple complex.
You can read Apollo on the second line here. Though most of the grand statutes were taken the bases with inscriptions remain so there is some idea about what was here.
Base of an old treasury. 
Restored Athens treasury. 
Inscriptions on the treasury.
It's funny to see a replica of the snakes we just saw in Istanbul. Aparna wonders why if you go through all the trouble to make the replica why not make it complete. They know the locations for 2 of 3 heads.
The museum is nice.
Temple of Apollo.
Temple of Apollo from above the amphitheater. 
Amphitheater
I continue up the hill to the stadium. 
It's more interesting to see this stadium after seeing the refurbished one in Athens. 
Athletes entrances. 
Fresco along the way to the museum. 

I think this downspout looks like it's laughing. 
An incredible bronze statue. 
Lunch is in town on a cliff.
Spinach pie
Salad
Mixed vegetables and pork skewer.
Fruit for dessert.
Lunch is a bit light but works. You can't get the view from the restaurant but they have a courtyard with the view.
Town of Delphi. 
The valley here is filled with olive trees.
We stop in Arachova for a photo op. It's a ski town.
I guess everyone has their style.
The bus ride back is a straight shot and the guide doesn't talk. We get some sleep but I wake up at the first toll stop and can't fall back asleep. It's about 3 hours by the time we get dropped up. We freshen up and Aparna wants to get a drink at one of the roof top bars nearby. The first place has a private event so we can't be outside. The next place has a spot but I need to have pants. I start back but in the lobby I realize Aparna has the key. I head back up and get the key. 
15-20 minutes I'm dressed appropriately with drink in hand.
Sitting at the end of the bar with an Acropolis view you see a lot of people taking pictures. This newlywed couple asks someone to take a picture of them. The wife takes 5 minutes to position her husband. I tell him to get used to it and yes dear a lot. He laughs and say yes dear as his wife positions him. That was entertaining.
My "time lapse" of the Acropolis. 
We ended up talking to a couple from Atlanta seated next to us at the bar. They tell us they try to go on two international trips a year. I'm impressed. Then we talk about our travels and they say they are inspired to travel more. I think they are doing just fine. 
So much for one drink and eating earlier tonight. We get out and it's past 10 pm. We try to walk to Plaka for dinner however I take a turn too early and end up at a dead square. I break out Google Maps and find a kebab place nearby ish. We head over and end up at Monistaraki Square. Check that box. I order kebab with yogurt.
It's swimming in yogurt.
Moussaka
At least the food comes fast. We eat quickly and head back to crash. 

No comments:

Post a Comment