Sunday, May 22, 2016

Athens Riviera

I try to sleep in but I hear noises. It turns out we are almost above the dining room. Also our bathroom doesn't have a fan but just an air shaft which transmits sounds wonderfully well. I toss and turn for while then finally get up breakfast is only served until 10. We get down to breakfast after 9:30. Aparna puts the DND on the door. 
It's not a bad spread but they were out of bacon by this time. 
We head back to the room. We take our time preparing for the day as the weather isn't great. We remove the DND. We head out to grey skies. 
Not exactly what I was expecting. Maybe it's the weather. 
I wonder what happened here. Is this from the economic slow down?
And these nice building are right across the street. 
As we head into town it does get nicer. 
The wind is kicking up. There are a lot of small sailboats too. 
It's still a rocky beach. 
This is a nice park at least on the surface. There is graffiti everywhere and the facilities seem to be closed. We get to the main city square. 
The first thing I see is a dude getting kicked in the crotch.  
We wander the square and there are a ton of coffee shops. At least I don't see a Starbucks. 
We continue past the square as there is a sushi place I'm curious about. It rates ok online. There are actually two sushi places next to each other. This place I saw online is cheap. 6 salmon nigiri for 4 Euros. 6 tuna nigiri for 4.5. We look at the place next door. It's Fillipino and Japanese food. They have more than just sushi but it's lot more than the other place. Maybe it's a reflection of quality. We aren't terribly hungry so we roll the dice on the cheap place. 
We order 
Wakame salad - it's a huge portion. 
Edamame 
My 12 ounce Asahi is 5 Euros. That's more than the sushi! The sushi is warm. The rice is a little too soft. The fish is very mild. It's better than grocery store sushi. I check the weather during lunch. 
I've never seen dust before. That can't be good. 
We head back to the room since the weather isn't good. We stop at a grocery store and pick up some Greek beers.
I'm not sure why Aparna is amazed by the frozen seafood section. 
Of all the places they don't have Pringles. There is a newsstand outside were I get a tube. 
A small church next to our hotel. These last few pictures are blown out because I screwed up a setting on the camera.
When we get back to the room it isn't made up. I don't care Aparna is mildly upset. We only need new towels. She heads to the pool area which is sheltered from the wind. I catch up on blogging. 
It's cloudy so no sunset for us tonight. We head out for dinner around 8. We go back to the square we saw earlier today. As we leave its raining. Luckily the hotel has umbrellas. The rain isn't that bad except for a 5 minute dump. I was actually hoping for a longer rain to clear out the sky. We settle on highly rated restaurant. It's about 8:30 and the restaurant is about a quarter filled up. 
The salad is good but it's swimming in dressing. 
We share the mixed grill. The pork is bland but the rest is good. 
By the time our food comes the number of people double. By the time we leave its packed. I guess the Greeks really do eat late. It's just not adults. A group comes in with 6 kids so they make a kids table. 
They drop off some lemon ice at the end of the meal that is really refreshing. 
As we walk home we catch the full moon. 
You can't really tell from this picture but it is clearing up a bit. We can even see a few stars. It figures that it would clear up at night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment