Sunday, May 22, 2016

It's All Greek to Me

We've been to a lot of countries but this is as difficult as San Sebastián in terms of understanding. The alphabet is different. Greek doesn't seem to be close to the other European languages and I don't know any Greek words. 
It's been two months on the road and living out of a suitcase. We sleep to around 8. I'm still not sleeping well but I feel more rested. Again we are slow moving and head to breakfast around 9:30. We have the do not disturb on the door. 

Basically savory and sweet. 
We head up to the room. Organize our stuff and pack up the backpack for the day. We check with the front desk. If we want to go to Souniou and see the Temple of Poseidon it's an hourish bus ride. It's only 19 miles. The road must be slow and the bus probably stops a lot. Being Sunday it only comes every two hours. So we have an hour to kill. 
We check salon at the hotel across the street as Aparna wants to get her hair done. They won't be able to finish until 1 which is past the time for our bus. They are also closed Monday and Tuesday. I suggest we go tomorrow to the temple when the buses run more often and she can get her hair done now. She decides against it. Since it's sprinkling now we head back to our hotel lobby. Hopefully our room is being cleaned now. 
I work on the blog until 12:30 then get up to head to the bus station. Now Aparna doesn't want to go. Arg. Why have we been sitting here then? Why didn't you get your hair done? She goes off to check the salon and I go to the room. It's not cleaned. Aparna comes back and says they can't do her hair now but they will call if they can fit her in. She is annoyed the room isn't cleaned. I'm annoyed with her. We get snippy with each other and she leaves with the iPad and to make sure our room will be cleaned today. I continue to blog. Having some time apart is probably good. We have been together pretty continuously for over two months. I'm looking forward to having friends join us for my birthday and his. Aparna texts and says the salon can take her now. The room is being cleaned as well so I enjoy the view from our patio. 
It's clearing up a little but it's windy. 
I continue to blog all afternoon until Aparna returns. We are a little hungry and break into the various snacks we have been collecting along the way. We also finish some almonds we took from the house! Aparna cracks one of the beers we bought yesterday. By the time we get our ducks in a row it's 4:30. We walk in the opposite direction from yesterday. We walk by the restaurant we ate 1st night and there are a few customers there today. 
The beach goes away for a bit giving way to a rocky shore. 
It opens back up to sandy beach. 
There is a government run beach. They charge a few Euros but provided chairs, changing stations, toilets, etc. I assume they clean the beach too. 
Maybe it's the off season but the leaves piling up here look like cliffs. 
It goes back to rocky here. 
Outside of a few beach restaurants we don't see anything to eat. Maps shows more restaurants about a half mile away. It's towards another resort area. It also appears to be more fancy as there is a Nobu there. 
Flowering cactus along the way. 
We pass a facility (school complex?) that has razor wire on it. I wonder what it is. As we get near the end we see a sign that says not to take pictures even in English. I'm really curious now. 
It's not labeled on Google maps. 
We get to the bay. 
To our right appears to be the fancy side. The marina is there and so are the expensive restaurants. Reviews are like "good views and food is a bit expensive."
We find a restaurant in the middle with a view that is reasonable. The entrees are in the teens and twenties. 
To our left is the city center. 
We decide to walk that way. About half way there Aparna wants to go back. I tell her we are halfway. She is concerned about the walk back but we can take a cab. We keep going. There are a bunch of places here. We settle on a seafood restaurant. 
Not directly on the water but a good view from our table. 
I guess people like lemon with the seafood here. 
Cowpea salad with tuna. I like it. 
I've never had bread like this before. 
The salt and smoked mackerel is just that. 
Linguine with shrimp. 
It's like a solid cream of wheat with raisins and cardamom. 
The walk back is only 1.2 miles. We probably walked twice that far coming since we meandered along the coast. We start back around 8. Sunset is 8:35. We head to the shore as fast as we can since the sky is clearing a bit. 
This is what we see when we get to the shore. It might have been a good sunset. With the mountains in the background I think we need to get here earlier. 
I like this cloud in the middle and color enhancement from the camera. 
It takes me a few hours but I'm finally caught up on the blog!  I need to go to sleep as we are trying to get up early to go to the temple tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment