I'm also following the tram line as its close to our hotel. We walk up a small hill and the tram line disappears underneath it. At the top is a park we need to cross.
There is a small market in the park. It's busy and makes crossing difficult.
Except when we get to the station.
We end up booking from Marseille to Venice instead of Lyon to Venice on Saturday. I guess we won't be stopping in Lyon now. It's going to be an early morning as the train leaves at 6:09 and we need to be there 20 minutes before. Hopefully we can just extend our hotel.
While waiting at the ticket booth a guy wearing a security jacket walks up behind us. He's clearly not security. A brief conversation happens between the ticket agent and the man. I think he is telling him to get in line. The ticket agent calls security and the man hurries off. He takes off the coat and drops it as he exits.
We go to the tourist office to get a map and information. We head back down to the metro and find out there is a three day pass for 10.80. I guess the 3 we spent yesterday is a bit of a loss. We hop on board and head to the port. Or not, we are going in wrong direction. Fortunately we catch it quickly.
The place has set meals for 17 euros.
Grilled sardines for me. These are large and the bones are hard to eat.
We decide to head towards an Abby above the port. It's a short walk around the port. We are below the Abby now but don't see a way up without walking further away. We end up taking an elevator in a parking garage and walking out the opposite side. As we walk towards the Abby we can see a walkway with steps. I'm not sure where it comes out below but the elevator worked just fine.
We stop in a square in front of the Abby to take pictures of the harbor.
There are people enjoying the square. Some old men feeding the pigeons.
As we walk across the street to the Abby a gust of wind grabs Aparna's umbrella and she goes to fix it. At that moment we get blessed by pigeons. It's everywhere. Hair, shirt, shorts, dress, backpack and shoes. I stop to get some Kleenex from the backpack not realizing how bad it is. Fortunately a couple from Mexico are nearby with wet wipes. She tells us in Mexico it's good luck to be pooped on but this is too much. We wipe and she says "more, use another, there" over and over. All the while are having a conversation. Mexico? Where? Cancun. Oh we've been to Playa de Carmen. That's very close. We use nearly a full package of wipes to clean up. The funny thing is we have wipes too but they are back in the hotel.
Thank god France has Uber. I put in Kyriad and a hotel pops up. I accept and wait. The driver is there in a couple of minutes. I sit in the car but lean forward so my back won't touch the seat. I can smell it but it's a short ride. We arrive but it's the wrong hotel. Crap and literally. I try to find the right hotel. Aparna says to check my email. Duh! However I filed the email already. I finally find the right address and show the driver. Another 10 minutes and we are at the right hotel. As he drives off, Aparna realizes she left the umbrella. I try to run after the car but he just turned the corner.
We shower and wash our clothes. I crash. Maybe this was just a nightmare. Nope. After I wake up, I realize we didn't clean the backpack. I empty it and clean it. I guess we won't be taking that tonight. I take the camera and we head out. We check at the front desk and they are sold out tomorrow night. Oh well. We head out to the port and catch the 83 bus towards the coast. We decide to get off near a park for the sunset.
The old fort across the harbor.
Not the greatest of sunsets. If we were further over maybe the peninsula would block this.
Clouds don't help either.
Looking back at the city.
Sculptures in the park.
We catch a bus back to the port area. I find a rum restaurant I want to go to. It's along a metro stop but we need to transfer lines. I guess I didn't do a good job of selecting a bus from the park. We ride the metro and pop up in a square. It's quite active but a little seedy. We don't find the restaurant but there is another rum restaurant in the square. Maybe they moved.
Aparna gets pastis which is similar to absinthe.





























No comments:
Post a Comment