Monday, May 16, 2016

Finally Some Better Weather

May 16 - I get over eight hours of sleep but I still feel like I'm playing catch up. It's a slow morning again. After we shower, it's raining so we take our time as it is supposed to clear up. We eat another slice of pizza and leave a couple of small piece for tomorrow before we head out to the airport. 
We arrive at the wall around 11:45 and the weather has cleared up nicely.
We start on the harbor side. 
I take a lot of panoramic shots up here. 
Fort Minceta
It's really nice up here. I overhear someone saying "you think you got the money shot then you come up to the next spot". I agree.
Just inside the west gate. 
The steps to enter at the west gate. This reminds me they close entry at 7 and clear the wall by 7:30 so you can't see sunsets from here at least this time of the year. 
Views along the west wall. 
Fort Lovrijenac, Red Keep in King’s Landing
Moving along the south wall. 
You can see the roof of the second cafe we stopped at yesterday. 
The first cafe.
Back to the harbor. 
It takes us about 2.5 hours to walk the entire wall. If I only did this, I would be happy. I'm trying to get Aparna to do Fort  Lovrijenac but I'm not sure she's up for the stairs. 
She decides she wants seafood for lunch. We decide to go to Moby Dick near our place as the couple from Las Vegas was there last night. The worst part is we can't remember if they said it was good or not. 
Local oysters - a bit briny but the lemon does the trick. 
Sea bream with shrimp sauce. 
Lunch is good. As I pour the last of the water, I ask Aparna how much she wants. She says a little so I start to dribble water in her glass. She finally says I will tell you when to stop. Thank you.
We head back to the apartment quickly to charge my phone and freshen up. Aparna relents and decides to go to the fort.
It's a fair amount of steps but not like Asia bad. Plus we don't have the killer heat. We get to the ticket office and surprisingly we get in with our city wall passes. 
It's a nice view of the city from up here.
There are three levels and the top has a great view of the Adriatic. 
I don't get enough of the cannon but I think it's funny they have one pointing back at the city. 
Who's that creepy guy taking pictures?
We come down along a different path and wander on a bar and decide to have a drink. It's a new bar.
They don't even have chips but we get a taste of the house made sherry for free. I could really use some salt though. Of all the time I've had Pringles with me...
West gate from the outside. 
Since the weather is nice we head to the cable car. 
We search around up here for a good spot for the sunset. East of the cable car is a restaurant and modern terrace. 
West is an old fort that is now a war museum. 
I'm not sure if this is time, the ravages of war or both. 
We finally get our sunset. 
On the way down. 
We decide to have dinner outside the wall. It's a Croatian restaurant with a fire grill. There is an interesting lamb dish but we find out it takes 3 hours to prepare. I guess I could sleep and eat at 11:30. 
Gnocchi with beef. I was thinking the meat would be cubes but these flanks(?) are tender. 
Grilled prawns (menu translation)

No comments:

Post a Comment