Wednesday, April 6, 2016

First Full Day in Bangkok

I finally get over 8 hours of sleep. Hotel breakfasts have been pretty good everywhere - Eggs to order, cereal, salad, fruit, breads, fried rice, congee, etc. 
My stomach is a little angry this morning so I'm keeping it simple. 

We start later than we want and see some temples. 
Democracy monument. 

We get some clothes made. I hope we don't get ripped off as we just end up at a place our driver took us to. Two shirts for $70 so the loss can't be too bad.

We go over to the palace but we decide its way too hot to continue. We end up eating lunch at the ferry terminal. 
It turns out to be good. 

We head back to the hotel and cool off in the pool. I decide to get a haircut as we past a place near the hotel. I manage to communicate what I want and it's 100 Baht (about $3). We try to catch a sunset at the Sky bar at the top of another hotel but Aparna needs dress shoes. We head over to the other hotel and find a department story nearby. By the time she finds shoes we miss our sunset. 

A Japanese restaurant is nearby according to stay.com. It's been awhile for Japanese food lets go there. It's the first time the app has failed us. The restaurant is not there. I find it on Google maps. We catch an Uber. This is a yakitori place. I'm picturing a grill with a chef where you order and he cooks then hands it to you. Well it's a self service place. We are seated upstairs (read hotter) and with a charcoal fire in front of us. Now in Korea this was great since it was cold. In Cambodia we were outdoors. Here it's like someone turned on a faucet in my head. 
Good thing the beer is cold. Of course I'm hungry and don't take pictures of everything we ordered. 
We also ordered tuna, shrimp and a bottle of sake that doubles the bill. 

Food cost for the day is a whomping $85. 
Steps are about 12.4k and 4.2 miles. With the heat and humidity it seems like more. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment