Monday, April 4, 2016

Day in Yangon - Raise Your Hand If You Know What a Red Panda Is

More on that later. 

I'm up at 6:00 but it's too late to see if sunrise colors the pagoda or not. I work on the blog and let Aparna sleep in. It turns out to be a bad idea as today will be over 100 and humid. 

Lots of choices here for breakfast. 
Hot dog sushi roll, French toast, sausage, chicken, fish and sticky rice. 
Fungus salad, yellow cake, fruit and sushi. The coffee is instant here as well. 

We finally get motivated and take a taxi to Shwedagon Pagoda. That's the one we see from our room. We decide to get a guide since it's about $8. 
More hot tile to walk on. 
Aparna washing her bad karma away at her Wednesday afternoon idol. 

Afterward we take a "short" walk to a restaurant. I think it was less than a mile but I'm a mess. 
Pineapple duck for me. 
Aparna had curry. 

We are going to the zoo next. I'm going to take a cab. It's so hot and humid. Oh wait, the zoo is about 350 yards away so we walk some more. 

Now back to the post title. As we sat in Siem Reap our first night discussing the difference between what we will see in Cambodia and Myanmar the topic of the zoo in Yangon comes up. Aparna really likes elephants, turtles and pandas. You notice a lot of elephants in photos. She mentions the red panda. Suddenly I realize she is picturing a panda bear dyed red. For whatever reason, I know a red panda looks more like a raccoon. I pull up a photo and burst her bubble. 

Despite this we go to the zoo. It's 6000 Kyat ($5) for the two of us. 
That's as good as I can get. The autofocus doesn't seem to be as good as my last camera. That's the trade offs I make for weight. 
They have a lot of tigers. Finally we decide we have had enough of the heat and head out to the lying Buddha. It's the last thing we want to see in town. 
It's 216 feet long. I don't think the pictures do it justice. 
Sunset from the temple. 
With the traffic and our faulty room key we miss sunset from our room. The colors are nice still. 
Happy hour drinks at the hotel before we head out for dinner. Based on reviews I pick an ex-pat bar. When we ask for the taxi at the hotel, they know the place. It's a British pub of sorts. I swear everyone is smoking here. Man I miss smoke free bars. Aparna gets to watch some hockey. 
Why is the national championship on Tuesday? Stupid time zones. 
It's taco Tuesday but I just can't pull the trigger on that one. 
Ribs and chicken skewers. 

Food cost for the day is about $53. 
Steps are around 12.7k and 4.3 miles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment