Friday, April 1, 2016

Bagan Day Two

It reminds me of a fractal here. Every direction seems the same. I zoom in and more stupas. Sunrise
These are throughout the day. 
Again another amazing day. 

Back to chronological order. We start the day early to try to catch a sunrise.
Not so great sunrise but is a good view overall from up on Shwe San Daw pagoda. 
This is where we started yesterday in the glow of sunrise. 
Walking back to the car I catch this silhouette. In the picture it looks better as a sunrise though the sun is fairly high up by this point. 
Back to the hotel to eat. No bacon at breakfast today. 
The sausage is mild and I skip fried rice for noodles with vegetables. 
And an omelette. 
We head out to the central plain area.  For now I'm just listing locations. I may go back and add pictures. 
Ize Gawna Pagoda 
Namdamannya Temple
Bhaya thon Zu phaya 
Thom bula phaya
Tayoke paya temple 
Dhamma Ya Zi Ka 
Lawkananda phayar is along the river. 

I'm asking the driver about good lunch places but I really want good local food. I think that gets lost in the translation as we end up at a fancy hotel. 
These are potato based like a big pop chip. 
We try a new beer. 
I get the pork curry and Aparna gets the eggplant. The curry is good and very similar to the other day. I think they use pork tenderloin here as its really lean but it's not fall apart tender like at lunch the other day. 

Ape Yadana phaya 
Nagayon Guphaya 
Manuha Phaya has a "blood bowl" if I understand correctly. 
I think It's an excuse to donate money. 
There is also a huge lying Buddha here. I don't think I can capture the size in pictures. 
Nanphaya 
Gubyauk Gyi
Minglazeo 
Dhammayan Gyi Temple is the largest temple in Bagan. I climb a random steep staircase to a small room. 
It's worth the climb. 
Sulamani Guphaya 
Upalithein - another note about walking around bare foot is that in the darker temples you have bats and birds living in there. Aparna warns a couple as they point at artwork high on the walls and talking. At first they think she wants them to be quiet but they figure out her warning. Not even 2 minutes later I turn to Aparna and say "Did you hit me on the shoulder?"  Nope. We walk to an opening and I find a present from a bird. The driver says it's good luck. At least it's not in my hair. 
Htilominlo Guphaya Gyi
Unknown temple but it has a good second floor view. 
We decide to skip sunset as the weather is cloudy. 

19 places in all. I hope I'm keeping all the photos from my camera straight. I really miss my GPS. I should have just spent the money on one for this camera. Going back and matching photo to places is tedious. 

For dinner we try the pizza place. I was also curious if the prices were the same or not as the Italian place was "expensive". The prices are the same. 
We go with a Margarita pizza since none of the other toppings are really appealing. However they use oregano instead of basil but we know from last night they do have basil. 
We also get a salad as I haven't been eating many vegetables. They say it comes from their own garden. 

Another amazing long day!

Food total for the day is approximately $40. 
Steps for the day are 19.2 and 6.4 miles. The bottoms of our feet are still intact from the hot tile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment