Saturday, March 26, 2016

Travel Day to Cambodia

We got up early to have breakfast before we left. Breakfast options were the same except French fries instead of tater tots & braised pork with vegetables.
The plan was to leave at 7 am which is four hours before our flight. Of course we left a little later and the subway took a little longer than I expected. There was more walking during the transfer than I anticipated. 


We weren't able to choose seats before hand or check in online with China Southern. It turns out Delta didn't put my frequent flier number on my reservation so my status wasn't recognized and we didn't get good seats. How does that happen?  I booked award tickets with Delta. As for not being able to check in ahead of time that was visa related so I understand that. 

The plane was an Airbus 320 and I was stuck in a window seat. Aparna was behind me. The room was fine. 
Food on the plane was a spicy fish dish with rice, I don't speak any Chinese but I think they ran out of the other option. 
We landed in Guangzhou. That appears to be a huge city from the sky. Tons of skyscrapers and lots of activity on the river. Surprisingly we exited on the Tarmac. 
We landed a little late and Aparna was worried about making the connection as we had to pass through another check point. Fortunately (?) our plane came in late so we didn't have a problem. Interesting enough after the gate agent scanned our tickets a police officer check our ticket again before boarding in the causeway. This flight was an Airbus 320 and we were seated together. I finally figured out that you are not supposed to use your cellphone screen on the plane at anytime. Good thing for the iPad. We had a small snack which was good since I was hungry. 
The yogurt was served with a straw. Legroom was about the same as the last flight. 
Now I don't want to generalize but a lot of my fellow passengers are rude. I've experienced US travelers bull rushing the aisle to get off but this is worse. Aparna wonders if these people have ever shopped before. I swear they each bring on two bags from duty free in Seoul. Good thing we checked our bags. It's a huge scramble to make this all fit. When we land in Siem Reap the guy in the window reaches above us both to pull out his carry on. I'm sure he saved himself 10 seconds. No excuse me or anything. (Step off soapbox)

Arrived to the heat of Cambodia. We left Korea at about 55/35 to come to 95/75. I hope I survive. The feel of the airport reminds me of Hawaii. 
Outdoors, hot, humid and tropical. 

"Right guard will not help you here"
Holiday in Cambodia - Dead Kennedys

We were greeted by a tuktuk driver and about 20 minutes later at our hotel.
We booked this place based on Trip Advisor and our budget of less than $30/night for 3 stars, For $27 I wasn't sure what to expect but I don't know that it could better than this. Golden Temple Villas doesn't have an elevator and we are on the top floor (4) but that's about it. It is very close to Pub Street and the Night Market but it's far enough to be quiet. 
Reasonable size room with AC. The bathroom is clean. Free internet that blows away anything in the US. 
Oh yeah, the airport pick up was included, free daily breakfast, one free lunch or dinner for both of us, free bikes and a free massage for both of us!

We headed out to the Night Market for a bite to eat. I was looking for a place called the Hungry Bear but couldn't find it so we settled on the Island Bar. 
Pitcher of beer, eggplant, ribs and fried rice plus service charge set us back $14.70. Got back to the the room and 10 and passed out. Alarm was set for 4 am as we are being picked up at 5 am for sunrise at Angkor Wat.

Food total for the day $15.00 as I left the change. 
Steps for the day are about 9300 and 3.5 miles. After yesterday's monster walking I thought today would be relaxing with a lot of sitting between the two flights. While we did sit a lot we also walked a lot too so much for a day of rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment