Monday, March 28, 2016

...and the World's Your Oyster

The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free. 

Our flight isn't until 11:55 am so we can sleep in. However we were both up by 5:30 am. I'm surprised I'm surviving on so little sleep. I guess that's what naps are for. We finished packing and headed down for breakfast. 
That little circle is a potato cake which is quite good. I could have eaten a few more of those. We survived this strange half step on the third floor. 
I thought for sure it would get us once. 

The Siem Reap airport isn't well signed but arrived 2.5 hours early. The counter doesn't even open until two hours before. We do some last minute shuffling of our stuff to the the weight to 10 kgs. Air Asia is a low cost carrier that charges for everything (didn't even offer water)like drinks on the plane. The pitch of the seats reflects this as well. Good thing this is an hour flight. 
Good thing I don't have long legs. 

After we arrive in Bangkok we do some more luggage shuffling and leave the wheeled carry on behind. From there we find the bus which is only about a $1 each that drops us walking distance to our hotel. We get outside and the heat and humidity are brutal. I'm a sweaty mess just sitting 10 minutes for the bus. We get to Victory Mounument in about an hour which is 20 minutes longer than it should be but we were in rush hour traffic.
On the street they are handing out lotion/sunblock.
Surprisingly I didn't get burnt in Cambodia. 

Our walk was about 20 minutes. It would have been faster except the weather and our tired feet slowed us down. 

Our hotel was a delight at $50. 
IKEA has nothing on this bed. It's a desk, bed AND sofa all in one. Makes for efficient use of the small space. 
At this point we were pretty hungry. I ate a Clif bar and Aparna ate a guava since breakfast. I found a boiled chicken and rice place but the hotel desk guy said this is more of a late night drinking food thing. So we decided to eat Thai food nearby. 

We tried a rice cake with minced pork and peanut sauce. 
A little too much coconut for my taste, Aparna really liked this. For dinner we had a seafood dish and a wide noodle dish. 
Hey is that a green bean in there?  That's my favorite vegetable. 
Nope. That's a chili pepper. It's not that... holy crap that's hot. Where is my beer?  I'll be picking out the rest of those. The noodle dish was the right amount of heat when only eating an occasional pepper. The seafood dish was really hot and that was skipping all the peppers. I hope I don't pay for this in the morning. Maybe not a wise culinary choice before an early flight. 

Our flight is at 7:15 am tomorrow so we need to leave by 4:30 am. Since we have fast internet. 
It's not even 7 yet. I'll blog some more and we'll find our hotel for Bangkok on the way back. We book to the hotel and zzzz. I was out by 8. 

Food total for the day is about $21. I need to do the exact conversion but this is a good ballpark figure. 
Another day under 10k steps at 7.8k and 2.8 miles. My feet are getting a little happier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment