Monday, March 26, 2018

Lost in the Translation

March 23
After a late night of basketball, we get up just before breakfast ends.
They have sunny side up eggs today and different sausage. The crepe is filled with plain yogurt today. Back to the room to pack up and head out. The driver is about 20 minutes late but we are not in a rush. I guess the police search near the embassy was backed up. Man these roads are narrow in town.
It turns out this is a part time job for him and he likes to transport English speakers so he can practice his English. We talk about beers and food. We tell him about the place we went out to eat last night. We spell the name. Apparently Svab mean cockroach! So we think we went to the seven cockroaches! Later I find out as I posted the March 22, that SvabU is Swabians. That makes so much more sense. Actually this conversation leads to funny words in one language that means something completely different in Czech. I was planning on catching up on sleep during the ride but our driver is entertaining and I end up staying up to chat with him. I tried to catch the border sign as we go by but I missed it. You wouldn't know you crossed over, if you didn't know what to look for. There is a lot more snow in Germany.
After a little over 3 hours, we safely arrive at the AmaSerena. Thank you George!
We are able to check in right away. The room is small but what I expected.

We have a chess board and swimming pool but I think its a bit too cold for that.
Thankfully they have light snacks as we haven't eat since breakfast. Various snack - egg salad with bacon, ham and cheese bread, cream puff and meat ball with cheese.
 Sparkling wine with lox and shrimp. Apricot wrapped with bacon. It's a surprising good combination.

A little while later we have an Oktoberfest with a local pilsner and pretzels.
Dinner follows shortly afterwards. Duck with wasabi mayo, beet puree and yakitori sauce. The duck is good and I could without everything else but I love duck.
Crab cake with pineapple salsa and avocado-pea mash. The outside is really crunchy and the center is very soft. It doesn't have a lot of crab flavour and the avocado-pea mash is very pea forward.
 The mushroom cappuccino has a great aroma and I could smell it before it's set down. The flavour matches the smell.
 Sirloin with peppercorn sauce. The meat is cooked to a perfect temperature and the sauce is really good. I'm told the red and yellow things on the left are beets. If so they are the mildest beets I've ever had.
The petit four plate. Hmm...maybe their definition of petit four is different than mine. The truffles are good.
The raspberry chocolate cake is fine but I'm unsure about the presentation. It looks like an organ with blood veins on the plate below.
It's been a long day and we crash after dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Did anyone else giggle when Shima said "pea forward"?

    ReplyDelete