Sunday, March 18, 2018

Brotherhood of the Traveling Pants Continues


I dropped my phone last night and cracked my screen. Awesome. I was already planning on getting a haircut this morning but now this throws a wrench into the morning. It's not terrible as most of the damage is in the upper right hand corner but a small crack goes down about a quarter of the way. Our flight isn't until 2:28 pm but we are dropping a car off at a friends so we should leave by 11:15 am. I get my haircut at 9:15 am but the places to fix screens don't open until 10 am. As 10 am rolls around I start to drive towards Bellevue as I have used Jet City repair before and I like them so even though it's further I'd like to use them. I call on my way over and they can do the repair right away. Yes! It's done before 11 am so I have plenty of time to get back home. Strangely enough it seems brighter. 
We arrive to the airport about 2 hours before our flight. TSA pre-check is fairly short and we breeze through. Since we have time, we decide to head to the Delta lounge. I was pleasantly surprised to find out my status allows me to get a guest in for free when flying internationally. Since the morning was busier than expected I hardly ate. I should have taken more pictures in the lounge but i wasn't in my blogging mind yet. The lounge had a bowl buffet. There were noodles, salad and rice as a base and various toppings. I went with Gingered rice with chicken and toppings.
 
Also grabbed a bowl of minestrone soup.
 
I have this Pringles obsession when I travel. I should have bought a small before we left so as we leave the lounge I go by a store but the lines are too long. Maybe it's for the best. We board. It's an Airbus 330 with a 2-4-2 configuration in coach. We have the two so Aparna gets her window and I get my aisle. We comfort plus so legroom isn't an issue. Also our amenities kit. 

Menus are passed out. Asian food this is a pleasant surprise.
 I check the seat back entertainment. Damn no live TV. I thought all the a330s were updated with faster internet and live TV. I guess I will have to try to stream the Michigan game. For now I watch The Shape Of Water. The first snacks come. 
The gluten free pretzels and breadsticks were surprisingly crunchy. 
As meal service is setting up I overhear the flight attendants discussing if they should make some announcement about what's being serviced but they decide not to. Aparna is watching a movie so she doesn't hear the attendant ask which meal she wants. She pulls off her headphones and asks for the King Poa chicken. Funny, we got then Asia menu instead of the Dutch so no Kung Poa chicken for Aparna. Now I get what the attendants were discussing. It turns out they passed out the Asian menu to half the flight before they noticed. 

The hummus with the pita was really tasty. It's under the celery and carrots. The pasta duel is ok. 
So I'm checking the internet options and I'm confused by the wording on the T-Mobile offer. Is it changed to allow more free time? I sign in and realize it's still the same free one hour. Crap, I just wasted that hour now so I can't use it for the first half of the game. I will rely on my friend for text updates during the game since Delta give free messaging during flights. Movie one down. On to Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Interesting movie but a little different than I was expecting. On to Coco. I like this better than Moana. 
The game starts while I'm watching Coco. I'm using the iMessage to get updates on the Michigan Houston game. It's tied at half and it sounds like we are missing some open shots. Maybe if they fall in the second half we can pull away. Since I'm messaging with my buddy on my phone, we use our free hour of T-Mobile provided WiFi to follow the game in the second half on Aparna's phone. Ugh, she doesn't have the DirecTV app. I try to download it but it's taking forever. I guess it would have been fast enough to stream. It's a tight game and Michigan can't make a shot down the stretch. We are down by 2 but Houston is shooting free throws to ice the game with 4 seconds left. I text "game over" to my buddy. He replies "Still can. Missed both." Gamecast seems to be stuck. Did we take a timeout? What is going on? Then I get "Oh my god.  Poole!!!!'" 
My phone starts blowing up. Tie, win? What is going on? 
Snack of turkey (smoked?) and cheese sandwich and a Milano cookie. It's a tasty sandwich. Now I realize there is only two hours left in our flight and I haven't slept at all. I try to sleep but toss and turn for 45 minutes and give up. Our light breakfast comes so I guess I'll eat instead. This is going to be a long day. 
Breakfast honey yogurt, bagel with marionberry cream and slice of cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment