Friday, March 23, 2018

Amsterdam Day Three - Rest of the Day

We decide to head back to central station to finally do our canal cruise. It's a nice overview and maybe something we should have done on day one.
It's hard to take pictures with the way the windows are setup. You can take to the side or up because there is a bar in the way. 
Supposedly you can see seven bridges from the water here. Maybe they are all there. Are your eyes better than mine? As we head back to the hotel, there is a big commotion in front of station. I think a tram has been involved in an accident.
As we round the corner we notice Stubbe Haring is open. 
So we get the new herring with onions and pickles. Aparna likes it with onions and thinks there should be more. I'm fine with the portion. 
We get back to the hotel to freshen up and figure out what's next. In the club lounge, I try to get day one in Amsterdam finally posted. I get the email done and send it off. I should be able to publish it later. We decide to head to Wynand Fockink. On the way out we are offered punch and a snack. 
It was described as sausage but was really tartare. The punch was good and the tartare was a little mild.
We get to Wynand Fockink and it's busy. There are just two people working but the line moves fairly quickly considering they are giving various samples and describing the drinks. They even mix ones together to make cocktails. When it's our turn, we let them know we want to try savoury ones and we start with various straight genever. We sample a new one, 3 year, 5 year and a rye based one.
Aparna starts with the rye one and I start with the 3 year old. The second one I got was made from beer leftovers and Aparna gets the one straight from the barrel so it's stronger - 47% versus 38%. As I'm drinking these, I realize how much more I like genever than gin. I'd never sip a gin these days. 
After we take a walk through the red light district before dinner. 
It's about what I expected. 
We decide to eat dinner at the Lobby that was recommended by the UK couple on the first night. 
The bread is served with pickled onions. 
It's a fairly limited menu but we decide to split two appetizers and an entree. 
The leeks with bacon and a fried egg. The bacon is a bacon jam and used like glue under the egg and leeks. The bacon jam is really good and makes me think I should try to make my own.
Veal carpaccio with tongue and sweetbreads. 
Pork cheeks with sweet potatoes. Everything work well together. 
Poached apple was nicely cooked it. It was just firm enough but not still crunchy. The service at this place was exceptional and a pleasant surprise for being in a hotel. They split our entree and dessert without asking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment