Monday, April 2, 2018

Vienna

March 28
Overnight we sail to Vienna. After a late night, I'm not up exactly early and the tour leaves at 8:45 unlike most days that leave at 9:30. I'm also feeling a little under the weather. So I pop an Aleve and a Sudafed. Good thing we brought Clif bars. This is the Mexico church (St. Francis of Assisi) near where we are moored. Nicknamed for the Mexico Square since Mexico protested the annexation of Austria by Germany.
The old part of Vienna is layed out nicely since they were forward looking when they down the old city wall. We some bus touring (so not a lot of photos out the windows) before we start our walk. The Hofburg Palace.

 Kunsthistorisches Museum
 Edible eggs for Easter.
 Roman ruins
Sundials don't do well with daylight savings.
The dome just outside the Spanish riding school.
We pass Plague Column, St Peters Catholic Church and arrive at St Stephen's Cathedral with it's glazed tiled roof.
And then I realize, I should charge the DSLR battery more often. I guess I have my phone. Inside of St Stephen's is nice but we decide not to go up the tower since I can't take pictures with my DSLR.

Our friends do the tower and send some pictures from above.

We head over to St. Peters afterwards.

We wander for bit and head back to the boat for lunch. I decide that I can't do both the afternoon palace tour and the evening wine tasting. Guess which one is going to win. I plug in the camera battery and we head to lunch. We start with mustard soup and consommé with a dumpling. The mustard soup is surprisingly good. It's not overpowering with mustard but you know it's there. The other soup is about what you would expect with a tender dumpling.
There is a Styria beef salad. It's marinated and sliced thin. It's really tender and mild. I eat it with butter lettuce and a hard boiled egg. I grab a chicken wrap to try and the usual salad bar.
The hot food is pasta so I mix the white and red sauce with penne.
 I try the cappuccino ice cream.
I return to the cabin and hand Aparna the camera. I start to read but I can't keep my eyes open. I think maybe I should set an alarm for 3:30 pm but I fall asleep. I wake up and it's 3:09. That's not bad. I start to finish what I was reading and next thing I know it's almost 4:30! Wow, I guess I needed that. I freshen up and blog a bit before Aparna returns a little after 5:00.
Since I didn't go to the palace I'm just posting random pictures that Aparna took. Maybe she'll get around to editing this and adding commentary.


Dinner is early as we are doing an evening wine tasting. The smoked salmon I really good.
 Creamy pumpkin soup is a little thin for cream soup but the roasted seeds add nice texture.
The Schnitzel Vienna style is not breaded as nicely as the one at Mozart Café (the crust doesn't stick as well) but the flavor is good especially with a little lemon.
Off to a Viennese Tavern for drinking and wine!
 Don't they know we just ate!
Our table gets called out for talking. Guess who was on the end.
 I didn't get any pictures of the chicken dance.
We get back to the boat for a late night snack. Hungarian goulash is soup like versus others that are stew like.
 The Vienna sausage has a nice smoky flavor. I know why Koegel's would want to copy this.
And of course, apple strudel.


No comments:

Post a Comment