Sunday, April 1, 2018

Happy Anniversary

March 26
I finally sleep through the night but the Benadryl may have helped. Until was awoken by a knock the door at 7:00. What time is it? I have an alarm set for 8:45. Oh, it's a mimosa from our friends. Later I find out they weren't even up at 7:00. The rest of the morning is a blur as I go in and out of sleep. I find some time to grab some pastries to get some food in me before the morning wine tasting.
Nothing like a wine tasting at 10:30. Marty says you taste better in the morning. I'll go with that. 
It's the same cheese plate served at all the tasting. I don't have wine bottles to take pictures of but it's Estate Seven Hills Vineyard Bordeaux blends from the past and present.
Scenery from the morning cruise.

Afterwards I blog for a bit before lunch. I start with seafood cappuccino that pretty good.
 Make a lunch salad with the roast beef and roast pork.
There is always ice cream and cakes for lunch. I'm always going with the cakes but the amaretto crips to top the ice cream are really good bites!
After lunch we head out to Durnstein. We decide to do the city tour as it's rated a 3 as has been all our other tours. The hike up to the castle is considered a 5 so we pass on that but I views from up there would be great. It's also where Richard the Lionhearted was held.
It's a cute picturesque town surrounded by vineyards.
It's early in the season and not a lot is open in this town. There is some apricot places open. I guess when Europe had the phylloxera problem locals planted apricots to diversify.

Views of the across the Danube.
We head back to the Weissenkirchen for a wine tasting at a local winery. This "wheel" is a symbol for a wine house.
These are white wines that represent the Wachau. It's served with a bread that is based on the French baguette dough. The roll shape changes the ratio of crust to soft interior. It's nice.
Old grape press and the family that runs the winery.
After we visit the white church for which the city is named.

   
 View of the Danube from the church.
We are doing the chefs table tonight for dinner since it's our anniversary. I do wonder what the Captain's dinner is that we will be missing. The dinner is served with a local white and red wine.
 We start with a welcome of bread, feta and a kiwi sauce. It's light and refreshing.
 The appetizer of shrimp and scallops.
The Malaysian laksa soup is very strong, also to salty to eat by itself. However, it compliments the halibut well. I'm not sure everyone else feels the same way about the combination.

The lamb tastes great but the execution on the crust is poor. It's very brittle and doesn't stick to the meat as it is cut.
 They send a cake to us for our anniversary which we share with everyone.
 The desert is a Bailey's soufflĂ© and you can see our layered cake next to it.
Overall, presentation is better than flavor.
As we are waiting to leave, the head waiter pours the four of us a full bottle of wine to go. I guess we have something to start off the rest of the evening. Tonight's entertainment is a singer. She is not bad but I think she on a script. She wants to sing New York, New York but this boat is almost entirely west coast and not a single person from New York. After trying to get a reaction from New Yorkers she gives up and sings it anyway.
There is always a late night snack available but I haven't been eating it. If you look closely the tag says "KFC Chicken".
I guess I have to take a piece now. It's not like KFC at home. The seasoning is different and it's more like a cornflake crust.
When we get back to our room, we are greeted by Swans.



No comments:

Post a Comment